Hi. Things are becoming slowly more restrictive around the country. I hope there is something in here to help you pass the time. We have lots of time now. xo
Spanish Speakers’ Resource list for those living in Central Oregon (specifically Bend): https://www.bendoregon.gov/Home/Components/News/News/
A friend with hearing impairment pointed out that in this time of digital connection, adding captions (CC) to our videos allows our messages to be accessible to people with hearing disabilities. https://www.agorapulse.com/blog/subtitles-for-facebook-video-posts/
Instagram Users: Wendy MacNaughton, NYT bestselling illustrator is offering free drawing classes M-F 10:00 am PST on Instagram Live @wendymac
Kate Schatz, the author of Rad American History A to Z; Movements and Moments That Demonstrate the Power of the People (and other rad books) is reading her book on youtube. The first of the series is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaAoBqoT6ys and she is featuring a letter of the Rad American History Alphabet each day.
Carson Ellis, a Oregon-based illustrator, is offering daily drawing prompts on her blog at carsonellis.com/blog
Families Belong Together has made a handful of coloring pages available from their coloring book, Coloring Without Borders AND has released sets of curriculum by age group. https://www.familiesbelongtogether.org/homewithkids/
Mark Rober, an ex-NASA engineer, is holding live stream science classes. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pPn-Bay_ANU
NASA’s weekly newsletter has online activities and other content for kids, adults or the whole family. Sign up here: https://nasa.gov/subscribe
SOME BASIC Nervous System Down-regulation activities you can consider trying if you have time, space, and emotional capacity:
- Stretching, Love Your Shoulders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g95hw1QMmY
- Legs up the wall pose (a restorative yoga pose). If you are pregnant, have glaucoma, hernias, or high or low blood pressure, this pose may not be appropriate because it can contribute to blood pressure changes and may increase pressure on any hernias. If we were not in the midst of a very overwhelmed medical system, this would be one to check with your healthcare practitioner about. If you want to do this and you already have an appointment or call scheduled, you might want to ask if there is time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHxoiq1YivE
- You can do this pose without any of the blankets or props or you can adjust the props, adding more or using less–they are there for your comfort. Towels work, in place of blankets.
- If legs up the wall feels uncomfortable or inaccessible, you can rest your legs on an ottoman or the seat of a chair/couch instead. This is how I set the pose up for children. If you try something and it doesn’t work, it’s ok to modify it in a way that works for you.
- Dianne Bondy is one of my favorite yoga teachers. She is a champion for inclusive yoga for all. You can sign up for a 14 day trial here to access her yoga at the wall series. It may be helpful to look at Lesson number 5–Yoga at the Wall Restorative: https://omstars.com/yoga-at-the-wall
- Her youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwWcJy1CK5mknhyPu7SIZ1w
- Amber Karnes is also a-mazing. All people. All bodies. https://bodypositiveyoga.com/about/
- Her youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/bodypositiveyoga/videos